To prepare this soup, we recommend using mixed legume and cereal packs that are sold ready in supermarkets. The soup proposed in this recipe was made with 10 types of legumes and two varieties of cereals. In particular, the soup contains: cannellini beans, borlotti beans, brown beans, black-eyed beans, black beans, green peas adzuki beans, green and red lentils, spelled and pearl barley.
If you have crusts or leftovers of grated cheese in the refrigerator, also add those in the soup during cooking. It will enrich the flavor.
- Mixed legumes cereals 500g
- 2 carrots
- 2 ribs celery
- 1 onion
- 2 medium potatoes
- 200g tomatoes
- 1 garlic clove
- Vegetable broth
- Extra virgin olive oil 3 (recommended Bio Terre Nostre)
- 1 rosemary sprig
- 1 thyme sprig
- 1 sage sprig
(1) Soak the cereals in cold water the night before. The following day, drain them thoroughly, then prepare a mixture with onion, garlic, celery and carrots. In a pot, fry the mince with a few tablespoons of oil, then add the drained cereals and legumes, mix for a minute and then cover with the vegetable broth.
(2) Peel and cut the tomatoes into cubes then add them to the pot.
(3) Add the bunch of aromatic herbs (you can tie them to the handle of the pot so that they do not scatter in the soup and you can easily eliminate once cooked). Slowly bring the soup to a boil, season with salt and then cover the pan with a lid. Cook slowly for at least an hour, adding, if necessary, more vegetable broth so that the soup remains with the right amount of liquid.
(4) Half an hour be-fore the end of cooking, add the peeled potatoes and cut into small cubes. When cooked, remove the aromatic bunch, adjust if necessary with salt, add a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and serve in bowls or holsters.
Garnish with whole parsley leaves.