- 1.5 kg topside of beef
- 2 medium onions
- 2 carrots
- 2 sticks celery
- 1 bulb of garlic
- 1 bunch of mixed fresh herbs, such as thyme, rosemary, bay and sage
- Extra virgin olive oil (recommended Cerasuola PGI)
(1) Remove the beef from the fridge 30 minutes before you want to cook it, to let it come up to room temperature.
Preheat the oven to 240°C / gas 9.
(2) Wash and roughly chop the vegetables (no need to peel them). Break the garlic bulb into cloves and peel them.
Pile all the veg, garlic and herbs into the middle of a large roasting tray and drizzle with oil.
(3) Drizzle the beef with oil and season well with sea salt and black pepper, then rub all over the meat. Place the beef on top of the vegetables.
Place the tray in the oven, then turn the heat down immediately to 200°C/gas 6 and cook for 1 hour for medium beef. If you prefer it medium-rare, take it out 5 to 10 minutes earlier. For well done, leave it in for another 10 to 15 minutes.
(4) If you’re doing roast potatoes and veggies, get them into the oven for the last 45 minutes of cooking.
Baste the beef halfway through cooking and if the vegetables look dry, add a splash of water to the tray to stop them from burning.
(5) When the beef is cooked to your liking, take the tray out of the oven and transfer the beef to a board to rest for 15 minutes or so.
Cover it with a layer of tin foil and a tea towel and leave aside.
With a sharp knife, slice the road beef so to create a "thick carpaccio".
Serve the road beef on a bed of salad adding the potatoes and veggies as sider.